Monday, October 31, 2011

Good Goat Nutrition

Goats are known to eat anything.  I almost believed that when one day we were working on constructing our panel storage/milking shelter and Annabell, one of my goats, started nibbling on a plastic bag.  I went running over, intending to take it from her.  She saw me coming and with a few more chomps and a great big swallow, it was gone!

However, I have learned that my goats DO have preferences in their choice of food.  They definately know what they like best.  The corn kernels disappear out of their feed first and if the chickens choose to nest in their hay feeder, they really aren't interested in finishing their hay! 

  
They are generally thrilled when we have an abundance of produce from the garden to share with them but will totally ignore the bind weed we throw over the fence!

If they are able to find a way to escape from their pen in the summer, stripping the grape vines is their first priority.  We also discovered they enjoy young broccoli, cabbage and pepper plants!   


And did I mention they like carrots??? =)


They also LOVE comfrey - an excellent remedy for the scours and they devour kelp, a great source of vitamins and minerals, as if it were candy!  Although they don't particularly care for diatomaceous earth, I include it as a wormer in their daily feed ration and they don't know the difference!  

I enjoy learning all I can about good goat nutrition.  "Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats" by Jerry Belanger has been a great guide.  It is rewarding to experience the effects of good goat nutrition - a healthy herd of goats with sleek, shiny coats that produce plenty of creamy, sweet tasting milk! 

This post is linked to:
Weekend Whatever
Natural Living Monday 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun blog you have, Jesalynn! {came over from Gina's blog Home Joys}

    My goat-loving dd will be eager to read more here!

    Blessings ~ Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesalynn, I know this will get
    Carson's creative juices "going"!
    He love's dreaming of what his goats
    might be able to do!
    Great blog, Barb Ocker

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great! I wish we could have goats. One day :) Thanks so much for sharing on Natural Living Monday! I cant wait to see what you have to share this week! http://wp.me/p2pBvv-AQ

    ReplyDelete